This is a repost from Adina’s blog. Since it was lab-relevant, I included it here.
The Next Adventure
I cannot understate how excited I am about this and how grateful I am to have this opportunity and for the help along the way.
You can read my application material on the lab website, but I summarize the gist of it here.
My personal goals for this lab are simple:
- Use what I’ve learned to make measurable impacts on understanding and managing the microbes around us
- Create an energetic and productive environment for research
- Mentor students to become outstanding researchers and people
I’m looking forward to continue some of my on-going research:
- Understanding the awesome diversity of microbes around us and how to model and manage their impacts on our lives
- Exploring the impacts of viruses on these communities and our health and environment
- Development of methods for environmental omic-based methods, connecting the dots between sequencing technologies and understanding complex microbial communities
Some directions I’m looking forward to exploring include:
- Moving beyond metagenomic discovery and characterization towards modeling and managing communities
- Improving the available biomarkers to detect and quantify pathogens and antibiotic genes in the environment
- Developing open-source eductational resources and classes making computational biology more assessible
- Exploring big data and the role of microbial data in predictive agriculture
- Many many more…I’m very much looking forward to all the collaborative opportunities at Iowa State.